Topic Title: Distal Biceps tenosynovectomy and debridement
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09/09/2008 10:29 AM

View topic in raw text format.
 09/09/2008 10:29 AM
 User is offline  Print this message

GSteeves

Good Morning,

I was hoping for a CPT code for this procedure. I am leaning toward unlisted. If you could please confirm and advise what to compare the procedure to. Path report "Soft tissue left antecubital fossa excision benign fibrosis."

"There was a lot of inflamed tissue around the distal biceps. There also looked to be a cyst at the end of the distal biceps as had been seen on the magnetic resonance imaging scan. I think it was just inflamed tenosynovium. I debrided this inflamed tenosynovium off of the distal biceps insertion and checked the insertion for its integrity. It was all felt to be strong and of good integrity. A debridement was performed of this white appearing tissue. It was sent to pathology."

Thanks for your help.

Gail Steeves CPC
gsteeves@sccost.net
    Reply     Quote     Top     Bottom    
 09/09/2008 06:36 PM

ERIN

This might be way off base, but I did look at a few codes.

24076 is a possibility. 24076 - Excision, tumor, soft tissue of upper arm or elbow area; deep (subfascial or intramuscular). However, I'm not that comfortable with the term "tumor" for this code. The procedure you posted seemed to be more of a tenosynovectomy.

Another possibility is 24102 - Arthrotomy, Elbow; w/Synovectomy. Was arthrotomy done as an approach to viewing the distal biceps tendon?

If none of those seem correct, then I would go with 24999 Unlisted procedure, humerus or elbow.

-------------------------
"To err is human--and to blame it on a computer is even more so." - Robert Orben

Edited: 09/09/2008 at 06:37 PM by ERIN
 09/10/2008 03:22 PM

GSteeves

Thank you for your help. I used all the same senarios as you. I think unlisted is the way to go. Thanks again.

Gail
View topic in raw text format.
< REFRESH >