< REFRESH >
Topic Title: V71.5
Topic Summary: Exam after alleged sexual assault
Created On: 05/18/2011 02:29 PM

View topic in raw text format.
 05/18/2011 02:29 PM
 User is offline  Print this message

J.STEWART

I was just wondering if others out there were using the code V71.5 for an ER exam after an alleged assault or rape? For this particular case in question, the doctor did not document any injuries. The description of V71 is causing some of my coders to second guess using this code. The description says "Observation and evaluation for suspected conditions not found". Note: This category is to be used when persons without a diagnosis are suspected of having an abnormal condition, without signs or symptoms, which requires study, but after examination and observation, is found not to exist. This category is also for use for administrative and legal observation status.

The "is found not to exist" is the wording that bothers them. I feel like we are okay because of the note saying "use for administrative and legal observation status". I would appreciate any feedback.

Thank you,
Jennifer S. RHIT, CCS
    Reply     Quote     Top     Bottom    
 05/23/2011 08:53 AM

schuylkillhealth

I JUST HAD THREE CASES AND CODED SAME WAY - V71.5
EXAMS WERE NORMAL
JUDY HESTER
 05/25/2011 08:53 AM

Coderbee

Yes, I do use V71.5 and will continue to do so. Just because there was no findings doesn't make this the wrong code. This is a suspected alleged or seduction rape, only the Judge and jury can confirm this as being a rape. If there are any injuries then I code the injuries and the E960.1 Rape

Cleo J RHIT, CPCH
View topic in raw text format.
< REFRESH >